Monday, May 12, 2014

What happened to Uncle Buddy's only son?

Uncle Buddy & Aunt Lu only had one son together & he was murdered the year I was born.

According to the Indianapolis Recorder, there were a "rash of violence" the night my cousin was killed.  He was the 3rd murder that evening.

The article states: (excuse the typos, this time they are not mine)

A relative period of tranquil* ity came to an abrupt hah this week when Indianapolia recorded three homicides in almost as many days. The dead included an estranged husband, a brother, and a 21-year-old man allegedly killed by Ida girlfriend's former boyfriend during an argument on a city street. AU but one of those arrested in the killings were free Wednesday, with one being held without bond in the Marion County Jail. One waa free under $200.00 bond and the other is free pending grand jury action. The first incident occurred* Saturday morning on the city's southside when 35-year-old Patrick MacArthur Saxton allegedly attacked his wife and attempted to shoot her father, Saxton was shot just outside his home at 137 S. Sheridan by a man identified as Willie Jenkins, 100 S. Webster. Police said the victim had pulled st pistol, which misfired several times before Jenkins drew his; own pistol and fired. Police said Jenkins, at first arrested for first-degree mur-I der, had accompanied Saxton and his wife (Jenkins' daughter), and other family members to the Saxton home where the victim was to get some clothes and leave, explaining that Saxton was going to leave his wife, who was staying with her father. But, according to police reports, as family members conferred in another part of the house, Mr. and Mrs. Saxton started arguing and Saxton pulled the pistol, which misfired. His wife fled the house and Saxton was confronted by Jenkins. It was then, police say, Saxton attempted to fire his weapon. Jenkins appeared in municipal court Monday morning, at which time his case was continued and he was released on the $200.00 bond. Silence prevailed afterwards -until about 2:10 a.m. Wednesday morning. That's when Bernard Williams, 24, 32 E. Washington (Washington Hotel), shot and killed his brother in what police termed a "domestic dispute." Dead is 26-year-old Willie Williams. Police said Bernard told them he and his brother had been out drinking and had arrived back at the apartment when an altercation developed. Bernard said his brother pulled a straight razor and slashed him across the face-seconds before he made his way to a living room desk, from which he pulled a .25-caliber automatic and shot Willie. Police found Bernard suffering from a deep wound about his face. He was not arrested, but according to detectives, the grand jury will determine Bernard's fate. Investigators said the Williams had arrived here only months ago from Birmingham, Alabama. The third killing occurred minutes later - at 3 a.m. in the vicinity of 38th and Ireland when a man identified as 20- year-old Bruce E. Mears, 3922 N. Ruckle, allegedly shot and killed 21-year-old Oliver W. Wickliffe Jr., 2551 N. Delaware. Police said they were stopped at 38th and Post Road by Wickliffe's younger brother, 20-year-old Eddie, who said a man had stopped them a few blocks away, started an argument with Oliver, hit him and then fired into the car before fleeing. Authorities later learned that Wickliffe waa allegedly dating Mears' former girlfriend, who was in the car at the time of the shooting, and an _ argument developed over a debt Mears allegedly owed the girl. Three others reportedly were in the car at the time - Oliver's brother, 30-year-old Eddie, and two other friends. Mears was arrested and charged with first-degree murder. He is being held without bond and his case was continued.

I have yet to find out what happened in the case, but I know that the loss was devastating to our family. I can only imagine how his death was so hard to deal with, especially since he wasn't a bad kid who got into trouble all the time. He just happened to be dating the wrong girl.

Does anyone know if Bruce was convicted?