Why did she raise her siblings?
- In the 1880 census, my great, great grandmother Emma lived with her mother & her 3 siblings-Annie, Leslie & Matilda.
- In the 1900 census, she is married to my great, great grandfather-Yost. The record stated they had 6 kids & all 6 were living. At the time, she had birthed 4 children-Andy, Daisy, Harrison (my great grandfather) & Arthlow. Matilda is recorded as a step daughter. That would make 5.
Who was the 6th child?
- I've been told that Emma gave birth to a daughter that looked white. When the slave owner saw her, he sent the little girl to live with his sister in England. ???
- As stated in a previous post, Leslie didn't die until 1908. I'm not sure what happened to Annie after 1880.
What happened to her parents?
- One of the biggest brick walls that I have is who is Emma Gatton's father? He isn't mentioned on her death certificate. (Most likely Matilda did not know or she wasn't sure.)
- Why is it that I can't find any other record for Nancy after 1880? ( If she died before 1900, why can't I find a death certificate?)