Monday, March 31, 2014

Blogging our history

When I started blogging, I thought that I would post a few pictures & tell some of the stories that I had been told & that would be that.

I had not idea that I would embark on this journey to becoming a blogger.

This is not my first rodeo (as my loving baby sister would say).  I've kept a blog for my Medical Assisting class for the past 2 years, but that's easy.  I have a written curriculum, so I never have to think of something to write about.  I post a ton of YouTube videos & post more photos of my classes then anything else.  That blog basically writes itself.  
Another significant difference is my students have to look at my blog.  A lot of their quizzes & in class discussion happen in our blog, so I rarely have to make them read it.  

THIS BLOG IS DIFFERENT.

I took a week off from blogging last week to learn how to blog.  I researched how others brainstorm or come up with ideas & I was surprised to find that I'm not alone.  Others struggle with what/how to blog their family history.
I've come across several blogs I'm utilizing on a daily basis now:
  1. socialtriggers.com/perfect-blog-post:  I had no idea how a blog post should be set up until I read this post by Alex Mangini.
  2. Jana's genealogy & family history blog-my blog was mentioned in her blog as a Fab find this past week.  Thanks a million Jana Last!!!
  3. Genealogy tip of the day by Michael John Neill-he post a brand new tip everyday.  I'm learning so much!
  4. The accidental genealogist by Lisa A. Alzo- This month she is featuring fearless females & you have to check it out.
  5. We tree genealogy-Amy Coffin's has a ton of info on the upcoming Rootstech conference. 
  6. Western Kentucky Genealogy blog-Brenda Joyce Jerome is teaching me so much about Kentucky, which is where most of my ancestors hail.
The only thing I am still struggling with is how to build a follow.  Right now I feel like no one is interested.  Not one person is following my blog, not even my own Mom.  (Sorry Mom.)

What can I do to build an audience?

Please leave a comment & let me know what I can do to make people want to read my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment