Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Wednesday's child: Alverdia Wickliffe

An abscess on her lung, due to tuberculosis, caused by malarial fever.

That's what caused the death of my first cousin, three times removed-Alverdia Wickliffe.

She was the youngest daughter out of 5 children born to my two times great aunt & uncle, Mary & Jacob Wickliffe. 

The first thing I notice about my cousin's death record, is the fact that she died at just 18 years old.  

I've posted about her father Jacob's horrific death, just 3 years before her own in 1916.   

The only other record that I have been able to find for her, is the 1910 census.  She was 11 at the time.  The record stated that the family had 7 children, but only 5 were living.  This record also spells her name Alverta, 

At first, I wondered how she caught malarial fever & then I was amazed to find out how many were affected by the disease.  According to Kentucky: Portrait in Paradox, 1900-1950  By James C. Klotter, Kentucky had the 3rd highest rate in the US by 1900.  

Anyone know anything else about Alverdia????????

No comments:

Post a Comment