Wednesday, April 22, 2015

I found a relative who lived until she was 104! Lily B Collins

Recently, I've been doing some research on my great grandmother Probie's side of the family.

Probie's parents were Alfred Taylor Collins & Cordelia Nichols.  My two times great grand parents raised her in Hartford, Kentucky (Ohio county).

Lily Collins was Alfred's grandmother (his father's mother).  I'm still unsure who his grandfather may have been.

I haven't been able to find very many records for her.  At this point, I've only found her on two census records (living in Hartford).

Here is her obituary that  I found in the Hartford Herald (a local newspaper).

The Hartford herald. (Hartford, Ky.) 1875-1926, November 27, 1901, Image 3

I know that it's tough to read, but the article identifies her as "Aunt" Lillie Collins.
It also stated that she was a respected woman of color, who lived in Hayti.  I've never run across that town name before, but I'm assuming that it's a suburb of some sort of Hartford.

Recently, I posted that my great, great grandmother Lou lived longer than any of my other relatives.  Now I can say that Lily B has that title.

No comments:

Post a Comment