Thursday, March 12, 2015

Were my grandparents cousins?

Kissing cousins from Kentucky

Image result for Kissing cousins
Isn't that what they call it?  

My grandfather is a Wickliffe from birth. My mother & her first cousin told me long ago, that somehow, my grandparents were cousins. Since I started working on my family tree, I've been trying to figure out how my grandparents were related.

I know that my great grandmother Odie's (Oddie)maiden name was Wickliffe.  Her grandfather was Alney Wickliffe, but I don't know much about him.  Alney & my three times great grandfather Yost may have been related, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how

Several possibilities are running through my mind.  First of all, it's possible that they aren't related at all.  The surname came from the original slaveholders family.  Which means Yost & Alney may have gotten the names from their original owners.  Which would mean they may not have even known each other, let alone have been related to one another.

Secondly, having the same last name, living in the same city/town doesn't make them related, but it's more that just a coincidence.  (If it were a name like Martin or Williams, maybe, but not Wickliffe.)

Lastly, how do you even figure out how one family is related to the other? I can't imagine how I would even begin to solve this mystery.

Can anyone help?






No comments:

Post a Comment